FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT AMATSU THERAPY
Amatsu can be used to aid the restoration of general well being and good health. Therefore it also helps to:-
- improve body alignment
- encourage body tone and co-ordination
- help to stabilise the skeleton
- balance and de-stress the cranio-sacral system
- revitalise the immune and nervous systems
- stimulate the removal of toxins
- improve circulation
- restore the body’s balancing sense of proprioception
- support the management of painful conditions
Amatsu can be used to treat many musculo-skeletal and lifestyle related conditions and to aid the restoration of well being and good health. It also addresses the effects of stress on the body eg physical, emotional and environmental factors.
Treatments (balances) are suitable for people of all age groups and those with limited mobility and I have successfully used it to help treat conditions such as:
- muscular or joint problems anywhere in the body including strains, sprains
- back pain
- shoulder pain
- rib pain
- general pain or specific painful conditions such as fibromyalgia
- high/low blood pressure
- arthritic problems
- carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger thumb
- sciatica, trapped nerves
- whiplash injuries and neck pain
- sports injuries such as tennis and golfers elbow, groin strains
- repetitive strain injuries (RSI)
- respiratory complaints eg asthma, chronic coughs, nasal congestion, sinusitis
- postural problems
- bowel complaints eg IBS
- digestive problems eg colic, heartburn
- headaches, migraines
- ante and post-natal issues
- stress and tension
- spinal curvature
- sinusitis and other ear/nose/throat problems
- mobility problems
- menstrual problems
- muscular spasm
- jaw pain
Most treatments are carried out fully clothed.
Differently to any other complementary therapy you may have encountered! Both in the sense of what you yourself experience, and the difference between what you and someone else feels (even if you come in with the ‘same’ problem!)
Different levels of pressure and mobilisation are applied according to your general health and the specific symptoms of your condition. This can vary from the very gentle and relaxing, to the more firm. Clients have reported different feelings; ranging from being relaxed or sleepy to more invigorated and energised.
Sometimes it may seem that I am not working on the ‘right’ place! For example, you may come in with a sore ankle and I spend the session working on your back and shoulders! This is because your body identifies the priorities it needs in order to make the ankle work properly and it may not be the ankle that is causing the problem.
Many people feel very different as soon as they get off the treatment couch; others start to feel the changes over a couple of days. It is not unusual to feel a sense of freedom or to feel more upright. You may also feel relaxed and sleepy and notice your body standing and moving differently between treatments. Sometimes, as muscles let go of old injuries you may experience some aching. Drinking sufficient water and keeping mobile will help you process these symptoms. Please think of this as your body sorting out a new way of reacting to the changes.
Reporting any changes back to your practitioner is a major benefit in your treatment structure.
For the 24-48 hours following your Amatsu balance, our general advice is to:
- Drink plenty of water
- Keep mobile eg have a brisk, short walk swinging your arms
- Avoid strenuous exercise
- Don’t overdo uncomfortable postures which may have contributed to your body’s problems eg. sitting hunched over a computer keyboard or holding a telephone to your ear
- Go barefoot at home or where possible and avoid high heels
- Have a warm bath or shower
- Be kind to your body. Although gentle, Amatsu is asking your body to release lots of restrictions that it may have held for a very long time, so you may be quite tired
- Importantly, listen to your body – it will tell you what it needs
If your treatment has been in response to gastric, abdominal or immune system based symptoms you may wish to try to avoid those foods that could commonly cause dehydration or that are commonly known to provoke stress reactions in the body (such as refined sugars, processed foods and caffeine base products.) This is in line with a normal healthy diet.
The number and frequency of treatments depends entirely on your individual needs and will vary according to many factors; for example whether the problem is acute or chronic, your general health, diet, lifestyle, job, etc.
A balance on regular basis may help you to prevent the everyday stresses of life from building up within your body causing ill health and injury.
The techniques of Amatsu allow treatment right across the age range. I have treated all ages ranging from two days old to 97 years young.
Please note that under 16s must be accompanied by an adult at all Amatsu sessions.
Please ensure that you tell me of anything you are receiving treatment for before you come for your first appointment. There are some conditions that are contra-indicated, and I would need you to contact your GP/consultant to obtain their permission to commence Amatsu therapy. It is, you must remember, complementary to conventional medicine.
Amatsu is not only complementary to western medicine but to other complementary therapies, so combining different treatments should not be a problem. It is important that you are transparent with this information and keep all practitioners involved fully informed.